The East-West Line hit by second glitch in 3 days

Train journeys on the MRT’s East-West Line were delayed during the morning peak hour yesterday, in what was the second major incident to hit Singapore’s second-oldest line in three days.

Yesterday’s glitch was caused by a westbound train which stalled near Dover station. Operator SMRT tweeted about the delay at 7.01am, warning that travel time from Queenstown to Jurong East – five stations away – would take 20 minutes more than usual.

SMRT spokesman Patrick Nathan said the driver of a westbound train reported at around 6.45am that its brakes were stuck.

Mr Nathan said this happened “just before the train entered Dover MRT station”.

“A rescue train was subsequently coupled to the defective train to push it to Dover station for passengers to disembark,” he added.

SMRT said the delay was “confined to the stretch between Queenstown and Jurong East stations”.

Commuters, however, reported that the delay extended to more stations, and even to eastbound services.

Stockbroker Cole Cheong, 49, said he was late for work despite leaving his home earlier than usual yesterday.

Mr Cheong, who takes a train from Boon Lay to his workplace in Raffles Place, said: “I was about half an hour late. The train was slow, but it was slowest between Boon Lay and Jurong East stations.”

Other commuters also tweeted to say the delay was not confined to the stretch between Queenstown and Jurong East.

SMRT tweeted at 8.23am to say normal train service had resumed.

“We apologise to commuters for the inconvenience caused,” Mr Nathan said.

On Tuesday evening, train service on the East-West Line was hit by delays because of a track fault.

SMRT first tweeted about the track fault at 7.09pm, saying that commuters should allow for 10 minutes of additional travel time from Tanah Merah to Bugis stations.

It tweeted 19 minutes later to advise of an additional 20-minute delay along the stretch. At 9.03pm, SMRT tweeted that normal service had resumed.

Christopher Tan

A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Straits Times on October 22, 2016, with the headline ‘East-West Line hit by second glitch in 3 days’. Print Edition | Subscribe